By: Pam Ben Rached
October 1, 2010
Often times when new clients come in, they have heard about a special diet or “nutritional” supplement that’s going to work its magic. Everyone wants to believe that being overweight is not your fault and all you really have to do is take (insert the name of the pill, product) and TADA! Instant success!
Every January when the new products hit the market, I go into a rant. The kids and hubby know where to hide and the clients turn their iPods up a bit louder. The cause of my rant is the millions of dollars in trickery that is played on us everyday people, hoping for a miracle that takes two minutes to complete. Some of my favorites:
- The TV ad that says: “It’s not your fault your fat! You were born that way! Take this pill and it will block all of your fat receptors.” (Personally, my fat receptors have back up generators.)
- The diet pill that begins with a vowel that necessitates quick intimacies with your favorite commode.
- Any form of the Atkins type diet which advocates eating two cow’s worth of protein. Boy, your liver sure will love that one!
- The famous “K” sisters prancing around in their swanky clothes touting their supplements. If I could have looked like them, I would have ordered long ago!
- Even the high profile trainer from the “Biggest Loser” has her own cleansing/pill line. Yeesh!
- Not to mention the reams of ads for tummy tucks, lipo, gastric bypass and all of the brothers and sisters of the above.
I could go on and on. Maybe that’s why Mourad (my husband and I) are driving Saturns and not something more fancy. We know the truth and there’s not a lot of money in the truth. Here it is – for free (see why we don’t have a Lexus?): In order to lose weight, you have to burn more calories than you take in.” It takes 3,500 calories to make one pound of fat. It is virtually impossible to lose a large amount of extra weight simply by exercise alone (besides – you will be pooped!)
Therefore, save yourself a lot of heartache, time and agony in the upcoming months. Embrace the simple truth and don’t make anyone rich on false promises. You owe it to yourself. So go out there, get healthy and be patient by doing it the right way – by eating sensibly and exercising. You’ll save a lot of money on Charmin I assure you.