How much do you know about exercise and fitness? Answers at end but no peaking!! All answers are true or false.
1. Muscle weighs more than fat.
2. Maintaining physical fitness requires major lifestyle changes.
3. "No pain, no gain" is a workout myth.
4. Weight loss should be the most important goal of fitness and exercise.
5. You should warm up before exercising.
6. The more you sweat during a workout, the more fat the body is burning.
7. Older adults are least likely to benefit from physical activity.
8. Even moderate exercise reduces the risk of heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, and obesity.
9. Crunches and sit-ups are the best way to lose belly fat.
10. Strength training, such as lifting weights, will result in a bulky appearance.
Ok! How did you do? Here are the answers – some just may surprise you!
1. False: This one is a bit tricky – they technically weigh the same but muscle is denser than fat thus taking up less space in the body.
2. False: Even small changes make a BIG difference!
3. True: You do not have to be in pain to have a good workout but you certainly want to feel like you’ve worked!
4. False: Weight loss can be a benefit but there are so many others such as increased energy, more muscle mass and overall good health!
5. True: Absolutely! Get that blood flowing and secrete the fluids around the joints to prevent injury!
6. False: Sweat is your body’s way of cooling down – not burning fat.
7. False: Absolutely not! In fact, as we age it’s even more important to stay in shape.
8. True: Right on! Get moving! You don’t have to train for the Olympics but being a coach potato gets you nowhere.
9. False: Sorry – there is no such thing as spot reducing fat. An overall program that centers on overall body fat reduction and an increase in lean muscle mass is your best bet.
10. False: Unless you are taking some interesting “supplement”, you will not bulk up so you ladies in particular stop worrying and lift away!